Monday, August 09, 2010

In The Fashionista's Closet: Mad Men with a Twist


I call this look my Mad Men look after the AMC show that's set in the 60's, I've recently begun watching it this season and I adore the fashions on that show for both the men and the women. With the sheath dresses, nipped in waists with full skirts for the women and slim cut suits and pocket squares for the men I am over the moon.


I paired this flowered Danny & Nicole dress with my flowered Nine West pumps that I've had forever in an effort to create a little contrast.


I promise I do have more than thrifted dresses in my closet but I have really hit my stride in finding great items for next to nothing.

I have already begun to look forward to fall and I have already drafted my Fall Fashion Wishlist to update my wardrobe. Now there's only one little teeny tiny thing stopping me from shopping. I'ts insignificant really. It's called....wait for it....Disposable Income. But sooner rather than later I will be back and better than ever!

I cringe when I hear people saying that they like to be "in style" and that they have all of the "latest" trends. Style is more than looking trendy, it is about finding what works for you, your lifestyle and feeling comfortable in your own skin. I feel that anyone who is fiscally able can go to the mall and buy all the latest looks but that's not smart or imaginative in my opinion. I will not participate in a trend once it's been done to death, and for me to buy a trend I have to love it and be able to find it for less. You do not want to have to replace your wardrobe year after year because you only follow trends, you want to shop smarter not harder. You want to incorporate things into your wardrobe that work with what you already have to update your existing look and don't be afraid to shop everywhere! It is far more intoxicating to see someone wearing a vintage multi-print full skirt, a men's v-neck tee and killer platforms. (I do believe that your shoes should be current and killer.) That being said, no one gets it right 100 percent of the time but don't be afraid to try!

5 comments:

misss_e said...

Thanks this is great advice. And as usual you look flawless! Is this a twist out in your hair?

Gina-Banafrit said...

Cuuuuuute! I like the way you pulled the entire look together! Awesome!

Unknown said...

love the shoes with the dress, totally awesome! the colour of the outfit are great, suits you so well.

and that is some smart and good advice!

fashion jewellery said...

I really like your white prada bag. It certainly makes an impact on the outfit.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin